[Hplip-help] Postscript interpreter HP Color LaserJet 8500DN
Jelle de Jong
2007-10-31 12:34:20 UTC
Hello everybody,

Some time ago I bought a HP Color LaserJet 8500DN with native postscript
interpreter. Hoping to finally find a good, fast and accurate printer
for Linux. On that time missing the knowledge about PCL XL and other
imported things, and thought this printer would solve all my Linux
printing problems.

However I spent so incredibility much time debugging why print jobs did
not print correctly it was driving me to madness frequently.

Recently I found the problem for many of my issues. The postscript
interpreter in the printer is extremely unreliably. It can lockup the
printer, it can say jobs are perfect completed when actually missing
pages and talk about crc network packages errors, and a lot more
annoying things. I even bought some new internal hardware to be sure the
hardware was correct.

My solution is to never use a postscript interpreter on the hardware of
the printer again, and recommends a PCL (6) XL printer.

The HP_Color_LaserJet_8500.ppd driver is unreliable and can drive people
to madness.

I now use the HP-Color_LaserJet_8500-hpijs.ppd driver. That does prints
jobs that are failing with the postscript driver. However it is
extremely slow. Yesterday I printed a 70 page job with in booklet duplex
mode in color. I took from 19:30 until 22:30 (logs available on
request). Is it possible to get this driver working faster?

I also know the printer supports PCL 5c however I can't find a complete
working driver available for my printer. (color, duplex, a3, left bin,
tray 3)

What are your thoughts about this?

Best regards, from a sad and disappointed HP Color LaserJet 8500DN
owner, but happy linux user...

Jelle