[Hplip-help] impossible to connect the internet
Christophe Gragnic
2007-10-31 20:36:56 UTC
Hi, I tried to use hplip-2.7.10.run
Everything went fine until the install of dependencies.

CHECKING FOR NETWORK CONNECTION
-------------------------------
error:
The network appears to be unreachable. Installation cannot complete without access to
error: distribution repositories. Please check the network and try again.

but I was connected. My connection is ADSL, but sometimes has long pings.
I can browse the web normally though, while hplip doesn't connect the repos.

Is there somewhere where I can set longer timeouts ?

Regards, and thanks.

---------------------------------
dwelch91
2007-10-31 20:49:01 UTC
There isn't a way to change these outside of changing the code. If you want,
you could go into the installer/ directory and edit the file
core_install.py. Around line 960 you will see the function
check_network_connection(). There are hard coded ping, wget and curl
timeouts in the code:

wget:
cmd = "%s --timeout=5 %s" % (wget, HTTP_GET_TARGET)

curl:
cmd = "%s --connect-timeout 3 --max-time 5 %s" % (curl, HTTP_GET_TARGET)

ping:
cmd = "%s -c1 -W1 -w5 %s" % (ping, PING_TARGET)

As you can see, the code is currently set to 5sec timeout.

One hint, run the installer using debug mode to see what the wget, curl, or
ping commands are doing:

$ ./install.py -i -g

-Don