[Hplip-help] hp 2820 slow printing
Julien Trébosc
2007-06-07 08:49:34 UTC

I have a hp 2820 printer connected through usb under linux mandriva 2007
with cups-1.2.4 and hplip-hpijs-1.6.9 (ghostscript plugin) installed.
Printing and faxing services are running but printing performances are
very low (~2 pages/min for black text instead of up to 19ppm) and up to
5 min for more complex presentations.
Actually loading time after job launch and between pages is long.
Printing itself seems normal.
Could that be related to postscript emulation taking much longer time
than pcl6 under windows ?

Thanks

Julien
Aaron
2007-06-15 22:28:47 UTC
Can you run hp-check and post the output?
Post by Julien Trébosc
Hi,
I have a hp 2820 printer connected through usb under linux mandriva 2007
with cups-1.2.4 and hplip-hpijs-1.6.9 (ghostscript plugin) installed.
Printing and faxing services are running but printing performances are
very low (~2 pages/min for black text instead of up to 19ppm) and up to
5 min for more complex presentations.
Actually loading time after job launch and between pages is long.
Printing itself seems normal.
Could that be related to postscript emulation taking much longer time
than pcl6 under windows ?
Thanks
Julien
I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. - Firefly
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Einstein
Julien Trébosc
2007-10-02 13:09:56 UTC
Hi

And sorry for the very late answer but we switched the printer on a
windows computer for a while.
hp-check &> hp-check.txt result is in the attached file.

We also did a few more tests which may be relevant (or not).
Whatever the computer the printer is attached to : the problem desn't
change: I mean that if the printer is connected to a linux computer with
samba print share the time to print from a windows computer is the same
as if the printer is attached to a windows computer. And the same for a
document printed from linux : very long to print.
We noticed that some documents (direct printing of word doc) print much
faster than other (ps file printed with ghostview) under windows. Under
linux everything is first converted to ps and the printing time is similar.

Best

Julien
John Hosszu
2007-10-02 16:58:17 UTC
Is it possible to update HPLIP to the latest 2.7.9?

jh
Post by Aaron
Can you run hp-check and post the output?
I have a hp 2820 printer connected through usb under linux mandriva 2007
with cups-1.2.4 and hplip-hpijs-1.6.9 (ghostscript plugin) installed.
Printing and faxing services are running but printing performances are
very low (~2 pages/min for black text instead of up to 19ppm) and up to
5 min for more complex presentations.
Actually loading time after job launch and between pages is long.
Printing itself seems normal.
Could that be related to postscript emulation taking much longer time
than pcl6 under windows ?
Thanks
Julien
I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. - Firefly
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Einstein
error: Not found!
HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 1.7.1)
Dependency/Version Check Utility ver. 5.2
Copyright (c) 2003-6 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.
---------------
| SYSTEM INFO |
---------------
Basic system information:

Detected distro (/etc/issue):
mandriva 2007.0

Detected distro (lsb_release):
MandrivaLinux 2007.0 (Official)

Currently installed HPLIP version...
HPLIP 1.7.1 currently installed in '/usr/share/hplip'.

Current contents of '/etc/hp/hplip.conf' file:
# hplip.conf
[hpiod]
# port=0 (dynamic IP port)
port=2208
[hpssd]
# port=0 (dynamic IP port)
port=2207
[hplip]
version=1.7.1
jdprobe=0
[dirs]
home=/usr/share/hplip
run=/var/run
ppd=/usr/share/ppd/HP
doc=/usr/share/doc/hplip-1.7.1
# Following values are determined at configure time and cannot be changed.
[configure]
network-build=1
pp-build=0
gui-build=1
scanner-build=1
fax-build=1
installinitd=/usr/lib/lsb/install_initd
chkconfig=/sbin/chkconfig
internal-tag=1.7.1.5

HPLIP running?
Yes, HPLIP is running (OK).

HPOJ running?
No, HPOJ is not running (OK).

Checking Python version...
OK, version 2.4.3 installed

Checking PyQt version...
OK, version 3.14 installed.

Checking SIP version...
OK, Version 4.2.1 installed
----------------
| DEPENDENCIES |
----------------
Checking for dependency libcrypto - OpenSSL cryptographic library...
OK, found.
Checking for dependency gcc - GNU Project C and C++ Compiler...
OK, found.
Checking for dependency SANE - Scanning library...
OK, found.
Checking for dependency GhostScript - PostScript and PDF language interpreter and previewer...
OK, found.
Checking for dependency libjpeg - JPEG library...
OK, found.
Checking for dependency libpthread - POSIX threads library...
OK, found.
Checking for dependency make - GNU make utility to maintain groups of programs...
OK, found.
Checking for dependency python-devel - Python development files...
OK, found.
Checking for dependency Reportlab - PDF library for Python...
OK, found.
Checking for dependency PyQt - Qt interface for Python...
OK, found.
Checking for dependency cups-devel- Common Unix Printing System development files...
OK, found.
Checking for dependency ppdev - Parallel port support kernel module....
This is an OPTIONAL dependency. Some HPLIP functionality may not function properly.
Checking for dependency libusb - USB library...
OK, found.
Checking for dependency scanimage - Shell scanning program...
OK, found.
Checking for dependency libnetsnmp-devel - SNMP networking library development files...
OK, found.
Checking for dependency Python 2.2 or greater - Python programming language...
OK, found.
Checking for dependency LSB - Linux Standard Base support...
OK, found.
Checking for dependency xsane - Graphical scanner frontend for SANE...
OK, found.
Checking for dependency cups - Common Unix Printing System...
OK, found.
Checking for dependency Python 2.3 or greater - Required for fax functionality...
OK, found.
----------------------
| INSTALLED PRINTERS |
----------------------
HPCoLaserJet
------------
Device URI: hp:/usb/HP_Color_LaserJet_2820?serial=00CNFN657G4H
Installed in HPLIP? Yes
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/HPCoLaserJet.ppd
PPD Description: HP Color LaserJet v2013.114 Postscript (recommended)
Printer status: printer HPCoLaserJet is idle. enabled since mar 02 oct 2007 11:18:17 CEST
----------------------
| SANE CONFIGURATION |
----------------------
'hpaio' in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf'...
OK, found. SANE backend 'hpaio' is properly set up.

Checking output of 'scanimage -L'...
device `hpaio:/usb/HP_Color_LaserJet_2820?serial=00CNFN657G4H' is a Hewlett-Packard HP_Color_LaserJet_2820 all-in-one
---------------------
| PYTHON EXTENSIONS |
---------------------
Checking 'cupsext' CUPS extension...
OK, found.

Checking 'pcardext' Photocard extension...
OK, found.
1 errors were detected.
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/install/index.html
Julien Trébosc
2007-11-13 15:49:18 UTC
Thank you,

Since I installed the version 2.7.9 I noted great improvement. I don't
have to wait ages between 2 printing pages. And printing starts much
faster as well. I think it is now comparable to "postscript" printing
under windows.

Julien
Post by Julien Trébosc
[...]

Julien TREBOSC
Ingénieur de Recherche CNRS
Institut des Molécules et de la
Matière Condensée de Lille (IMMCL) FR2638
Unité de Catalyse et Chimie du Solide
bâtiment C7/ ENSCL
BP 90108
59652 VILLENEUVE D'ASCQ CEDEX