[Hplip-help] How to align paper margins?
Sebastian Kemper
2007-10-26 13:41:41 UTC
Hello list,

I'm using hplip-2.7.9 on Gentoo with a HP DeskJet 5652. I used the cups
web interface to setup the printer to print to A4 paper in "Normal
Grayscale (auto-detect paper type)" mode and to use double-sided
printing (Long Edge). The PPD I set with hp-setup was
HP-DeskJet_5650-hpijs.ppd.

All works just fine except for the paper margins. When printing a test
page (Cups' or HP's test page) the print gets cut off at the bottom of
the paper (the bottom border isn't printed).

I read about a script that people use to setup their printer margins.
It's called alignmargins:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/download/printing/alignmargins
http://www.linuxprinting.org/download/printing/align.ps

But I wasn't able to correct the margins with it yet.

Can someone please point me in the proper direction to fix this issue?

Regards
Sebastian
Sebastian Kemper
2007-10-26 15:43:11 UTC
Hi again,

for kicks I tried printing the test pages with "Double-Sided Printing"
turned off in the cups web configuration and the prints are perfect it
seems. Nothing gets cut off. The print is bigger in height as well, 0.9
cm at the top and 1.1 cm at the bottom. The width stayed the same.

I guess I have to rephrase my question to How do I get the same margins
with duplex printing enabled?

Regards
Sebastian
Cauligi, Raghothama S
2007-10-26 15:59:13 UTC
Hi Sebastian,
When automatic double-sided printing is enabled, both top and bottom
margins are set to 0.5 in.
The auto duplexing hardware requires a 0.5 in bottom margin. The top
side of front page becomes
bottom side on the back page (the duplexer rotates page 180 degrees),
so, we set both margins to 0.5 in.
Hope this helps.
Raghu

Sebastian Kemper
2007-10-26 16:38:30 UTC
Post by Cauligi, Raghothama S
When automatic double-sided printing is enabled, both top and bottom
margins are set to 0.5 in.
The auto duplexing hardware requires a 0.5 in bottom margin. The top
side of front page becomes
bottom side on the back page (the duplexer rotates page 180 degrees),
so, we set both margins to 0.5 in.
Hello Raghothama,

thanks for your answer. Good to know there's a reasong for the printer's
behaviour.

Regards
Sebastian
Johannes Meixner
2007-10-30 09:44:37 UTC
Hello,
Post by Cauligi, Raghothama S
When automatic double-sided printing is enabled, both top and
bottom margins are set to 0.5 in.
The auto duplexing hardware requires a 0.5 in bottom margin.
The top side of front page becomes bottom side on the back page
(the duplexer rotates page 180 degrees), so, we set both
margins to 0.5 in.
Does this mean that for automatic double-sided printing
the unprintable margins can become bigger than the ImageableArea
entries in the PPD tell?

As a test, print two pages plain text with a border line:
echo -e "One\fTwo" | lp -d <queue> -o page-border=single

This way the border line mark the imageable area according
to what the ImageableArea entries in the PPD tell.

Now print it via automatic double-sided printing and check if
the border lines are still completely visible on the printout
or if the driver may have cut away something.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex